We all heard about the tragedy. So please act now to help them in whatever ways you can.
P.S. You may click on the above photo and find a list of ways to making donations or finding more information about the earthquake.
Please read this before continuing:
Editorial: It's Apple's 'post-PC' world -- we're all just living in it via engadget
Yes. Apple has been defining the new world. That's how it achieved the great success in recent years. Defining "best" to be yourself is really much more effective than being the best in existing standards... Apply is really clever and doing well in marketing...
And I totally agree that "Quality of Experiences" is the winning key nowadays. However, I am sure that Apple is not the only one know this, its competitors do know this key too.
Is Apple providing the best quality of experience? Definitely NOT. It might be one of the best, but still far from being the only best. Its products do have some bad designs/implementations too. However, there is no doubt that Apple is really doing excellently in setting customer's expectation, This can actually explain why there are so many die hard fans/followers accepting all the defects in the apple products: they've already gotten what they expected from the products, the brand of the company, and their own image built up via using the product :)
Last but not least, "Quality of Experiences" based very much on the "Quality of the product". Apple focused on the Quality of experiences so they are trying to improve the quality of their products, while the other companies are improving the qualities of their products so as to improve the quality of the experiences. They are literally the same. Again, the only difference is only about how you package the own things and present to your customers :)
So, let's see.
P.S. Wish SJ get well soon. Apple would be in danger losing the spiritual leader at this world of competitions.
Android 3.0 SDK Preview was released some days ago. I didn't have time play with it until just now.
A folder failed to be renamed or moved. On Windows this typically means that a program is using that folder (for example Windows Explorer.) Please close all running programs that may be locking the directory 'D:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools' and try again.
- manually rename the tools folder to tools.old
- CD into the tools.old folder
- run the command: android.bat update sdk
if "%1 %2"=="update sdk" goto StartUi
if not "%1"=="" goto EndTempCopy
echo [INFO] Starting Android SDK and AVD Manager
rem We're now going to create a temp dir to hold all the Jar files needed
rem to run the android tool, copy them in the temp dir and finally execute
rem from that path. We do this only when the launcher is run without
rem arguments, to display the SDK Updater UI. This allows the updater to
rem update the tools directory where the updater itself is located.
xcopy %swt_path% %tmp_dir%\%swt_path% /I /E /C /G /R /Y /Q > nul
copy /B /D /Y lib\androidprefs.jar %tmp_dir%\lib\ > nul
copy /B /D /Y lib\org.eclipse.* %tmp_dir%\lib\ > nul
copy /B /D /Y lib\sdk* %tmp_dir%\lib\ > nul
copy /B /D /Y lib\commons-compress* %tmp_dir%\lib\ > nul
rem jar_path and swt_path are relative to PWD so we don't need to adjust them, just change dirs.
Downloading SDK Platform Android Honeycomb Preview, revision 1http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/android-3.0_pre_r01-linux.zip
The Qualification round of Facebook Hacker Cup is happening now.
The Facebook Hacker Cup is an annual worldwide programming competition where hackers compete against each other for fame, fortune, glory and a shot at the coveted Hacker Cup.
I joined the contest. I do not aim at any of the fame, fortune, nor the glory from this event. Instead, I fight for the event t-shirt :)
- Instructions were not clear enough. First of all is the event time, they were mentioned in different part of the event page but they are inconsistence to each other. And Facebook doesn't handle timezone very well as usual. Secondly, the contest rules is only available in the FAQs page of the event. Many of the important information (e.g. the important 6-min time limits, scoring, what to be submitted as answer) are indeed documented there. Yet the participants have responsibility to read that FAQ page before the contest begins, I guess not many of them really did. The page is not obvious enough for most of the participants to find out. I think Facebook should do a little favor by linking this page from the question pages.
Update (2011-01-09 02:14 GMT+8): OK I missed something important here. And I admit my fault saying that no clarification was made. The organizer replied to one of their own post and did clarify one important fact:
This is completely inconsistent with the FAQ page which said that you have to "submit the output (along with your source code)". So this implies that the participants are supposed to filter all the SPAMssssssssss and spot this important clarification in the official pages! Probably this is part of the challenge too!!! WOW!!!
- Slowness of the contest system. Well, I really think Facebook should be considerate to those with slow (or not fast) Internet connection, and they should also estimate the huge load it might have on the contest system during the game. Many have reported that after they successfully get the download file, they only have little time left in that 6-min time limit for submitting the answer. Although
- The event page was basically unmanaged. I don't see any official responses or clarifications regarding to user's the from Facebook after the game started. There were tons of SPAMssssssssssssssss on event page, well, might be the organizing team would like to be align with their corporate image -yes, Facebook is always full of SPAM.
- No feedback after submissions. Although the FAQ page says clearly that results would be known after 72 hours, they display a scoreboard showing only top 10. This might be the real score board used in the coming rounds. However for this qualification round it's almost meaningless. Ranks are not important (at least it is not said to be) to be qualified. We just need to answer at least one questions correctly. So, probably the most important information for us is whether we have submitted the question successfully. There was an entry showing our own rank before we did any submission, but was gone after we did any (probably because we are out of the top 10 rank). As the score was calculated based on the time elapsed from the contest start time, and totally unrelated to when you start the challenge, late player can never pass the first 10 submitting all the 10 questions.
- Bugs! Lots of bugs! There were lots of bug reports like submissions cannot be done, timer is going wrong, and etc. Someone even reported that the 6-min time limit can be somehow bypassed too (yet not confirmed). Personally I found some of pages never finish loading. Also I noticed that someone has made 4 submissions despite the fact that there were only 3 problems:
I have ever thought that it was a challenger for real hackers just like what the game was named, and planned to start finding the hidden 4th questions. However later I saw that the one doing the 4 submissions asked in the event page and I know it's a bug too...
Gmail released a useful feature in August which allows user to drag and drop attachments out of the E-mail directly to the computer. As far as I know it supports only Google Chrome It was really handy and I use it nearly every day.
Finally, as confirmed by Google Employee on the support forum, the feature comes back again!!! Late better than none!!! Hurray!!!!